Saturday, May 30, 2009

It was a Rough One; 05.23.09

This week was a rough one. I finished my schematic package for the children's playground on Tuesday so it left the rest of the week open and there wasn’t a whole lot left to do so it was very slow. Along with that, the heat started up again and it was a little hot in the office, but we overcame that pretty well. Monday was a rough day, so I decided to take a walk around the Olympic Park (where the birds nest and water cube is) at night to just get away and relieve a little stress from the workday. It was very cool to see all the olympic architecture lit up with all the colors. It’s great to have all of that right across the street to be able to walk to for a quick stroll. It’s also crazy to see the amount of people that are out taking pictures with the birds nest and such in the background.

Tuesday, I decided to not play soccer since my body was still hurting (I’m thinking from the bungee jump). Nicole and I decided to head to the city center near the Forbidden City where they just opened a H&M store. It was ok. Nicole definitely had a blast but there wasn’t much to look at in the guys department. Plus, I’ve gotten spoiled from all the cheap clothes at the market, that I had a hard time thinking about spending more then 10 dollars on anything. I’m going to have problems when I move back to the states!

Wednesday, Nicole, Yan, Greg, and I went to Gulou (hutongs) to a bar called Mao where one of Nicole’s fav. Bands were playing (Ratatat). We grabbed some dinner beforehand. It was a great dinner but very spicy. It had my eyelids sweating… that doesn’t happen so often. If only I knew what was in store for us when we got to the bar. Once we were there, we went into the stage area. It was a comfortable crowd for the beginning. There were a couple Chinese kids who looked about 12 years old who were doing DJ dance music to get the crowd going. The next act was a rock band that looked like it was a family (the son playing guitar, mom playing bass and dad playing drums). They were entertaining for the first few songs, but then it just got old. It took forever for Ratatat to come on, but once they came out, the place was so crowded. Not just a little crowded, but my arms were stuck by my side the whole time. I was pouring sweat like crazy along with every other person in the bar; pretty disgusting. Nicole and Yan had to leave early b/c it was so hot and smokey. Greg and I stayed for a few more songs, but when we left, our jeans were drenched in sweat and just completely soaked. It was a pretty nasty!

With the craziness of the past few days we decided to just chill and cook a good dinner on Thursday night. It was definitely a nice relaxing night for the week we had endured. I haven’t been sleeping great all week. I am not sure if it’s from the muscle pains. I feel like I just moved to Beijing a few days ago and am messed up on time, but it will get better.

Tonight (Friday) we decided to head out for a good dinner. Aaron found a great Thai restaurant that was pretty awesome. We ate a good dinner then came back to the apartment to chill and play some guitars. I’ve been learning a couple songs so I can rock once I’m back in the fort (ha, we’ll see).

Anyway, tomorrow morning we are headed to the Forbidden City (finally). We will wake up way too early to see it b/c it’s supposed to be 90 degrees. We are hoping for a nice day though. Today was a great day b/c it rained last night which cleared all the smog out of the air.

Well, I guess that’s about it for the week. It’s time for bed. Hope all is well.

No comments:

Post a Comment